How To Get Insurance To Pay For A New Roof
Insurance companies view roofs as one of the most important parts of a home, and rightly so. Roofs protect homes from the elements, and a damaged roof is likely to lead to problems within your home as well as outside it. Wanting to limit the number of claims that can come from a damaged roof means many insurers are becoming more restrictive with roof coverage.
So how can you insure your damaged roof is replaced by your insurance if needed? Let’s take a look!
Protecting your roof before damage
Insurance companies can be notoriously picky in what and how much they will cover, and it’s no different when it comes to roofs.
Because the companies believe that it’s up to the homeowner to take the necessary precautions to maintain the property, here are some ways that you can protect your roof to ensure the biggest payoff in case of damage that needs repair.
- Have photos of your roof on file in case of any damage. If your roof does sustain damage, then be sure to take a set of “after” photos so you can document the damage and submit it to your insurance company.
- If your roof is more than 10 years old, it’s a good idea to hire a roof inspector who can check for any damage and areas that need repair.
- Replace any broken or worn shingles or tiles as soon as possible. A broken shingle might seem like no big deal, but it’s not protecting your home and can result in damage. Insurance inspectors have been known to perform a check of property from the street. They can cancel your policy if the home is considered to be in disrepair. That can include a leaky roof and broken or displaced shingles.
- Cut back any trees hanging over your house and remove any dead trees.
- If your roof is damaged, contact your insurance company as soon as you can and ask them to send an inspector to review the damage.
Insurance companies cover roofs differently. Your state can play a big part as to how much or even if you’re reimbursed for a damaged roof.
How to claim a new roof
Okay, you’ve taken all the precautions you can, but your roof has still sustained damage. Wondering what to do now?
- Check your insurance policy documents to make sure you’re covered for the damaged roof.
- Take pictures of the damage to your roof – and of any interior damage resulting from the damaged roof.
- Contact your agent as soon as possible to find out how to make a claim. Your policy may require you to notify your coverage provider within a certain time frame.
- Call and meet with a local roofing company like Pinnacle Roofing & Restoration. We’ll provide you with a written estimate on the cost of replacing your roof. We can also estimate if the roof needs total replacement or if roof repairs are an appropriate solution.
- Make a claim with your insurer. Follow your agent’s instructions and any procedure outlined in your policy. Use the claim form your insurer provides. Make sure you include all the details and evidence your provider needs.
- Arrange for an insurance adjuster to visit your home to assess the damage. If possible, have a Pinnacle Roofing & Restoration contractor on hand to speak with the adjuster.
- Have Pinnacle Roofing & Restoration replace your damaged roof once your claim is approved. If your claim is denied, or you feel the quote is too low, follow the appeals procedure laid out by your insurer.
Whether you’re looking to protect your roof before damage happens or to replace your damaged roof in its entirety, Pinnacle Roofing & Restoration is here to meet your needs! With a strong foundation working in the complex roofing industry, our experienced Memphis-based roofers are ready to bring high-quality craftsmanship to your roofing repairs or replacement. Get in touch today with any questions, or call (901) 438-5084 to request a free estimate!