Signs of Storm Damage
The room of your home or business is designed to withstand the elements, but here in the Mid-south, every storm is different, and some are stronger than others. After a storm, take some time to check for any signs of storm damage. But first, you need to know what you’re looking for! Of course, be careful and safe while you’re inspecting the roof. Try looking from a window or with binoculars before pulling out the ladder. If you need a better view, consider calling a professional roofing contractor like Pinnacle Roofing and Restoration to safely inspect your roof more closely.
Keep reading to learn more about signs of roof damage to look for after a storm.
Storm Damage You Can See From the Ground
It can be dangerous to get on your roof, especially after a storm. It always a good idea to inspect your roof while staying on solid ground. Look for these signs of damage:
- Shingle Granules: The granules on asphalt shingles help your shingles ward off the elements and UV rays. If you see a lot of these little granules on your lawn, patio furniture, or plants, your roof has more than likely sustained storm damage.
- Leaky & Clogged Gutters: This is a common sign of damage, and can cause additional problems for your home and roof. For instance, your roof can leak, mold can accumulate along the edges of your roof, and water damage can quickly damage the structure of your home. Even though the damage is on the roof, water that doesn’t drain properly can seep all the way down to your foundation.
- Property Damage: If you notice other damage around your property after a storm, such as damage to vehicles, there’s a good chance your roof needs attention as well.
- Broken, Cracked, and Missing Shingles: If you see pieces of shingles on the ground, or notice gaps from missing shingles, water can seep into your home and cause damage.
Signs Your Can Spot Inside Your Home
Over time, storm damage on the roof will cause problems in your home. Issues like water damage on walls and ceilings are typically what homeowners notice first. These signs include dark or wet spots on the wall or ceiling, flaking or cracked drywall, and wet spots around pipes and drains. Your nose might give you some clues as well. You may notice a musty or moldy smell.
Water damage on walls and ceilings – Some signs of water damage are easy to spot within the house, while others aren’t so easy. Visible symptoms include dark or wet spots on the wall or ceiling, drywall that’s flaking or cracking, and wet spots around pipes, toilets, sinks, and taps, or on the floor. You may also notice a musty or moldy smell or even a sewage smell coming from
Be sure to inspect your attic as well after a storm. Any wet spots, stains, and damp framing or insulation are likely caused by a storm. It’s possible that drips or leaks are caused by pipes in the attic, so rule that possibility out first.
Signs of Storm Damage Your Memphis Roofer Will Look For
You should go on your roof after a storm. If you suspect storm damage, leave the full inspection to a Pinnacle Roofing and Restoration professional. We’ll look for:
- Damage Under the Surface: We’ll check for damage underneath the shingles and on the underlayment. It’s important to check the underlayment because it provides a temporary barrier against rain and wind when your shingles are compromised. We’ll check the decking, the foundation of the roofing system attached to the rafters, for damage as well.
- Closer Inspection of Gutters: Heavy storms can damage the drip edge of the roof, causing water to collect and weigh down your gutters. We’ll look for leaking seams, areas that are sagging or bent, or sections that have broken off altogether.
- Damage Hidden from the Ground: We’ll assess the extent of missing shingles, beyond what you can see from the ground. Braches, debris, hail, and heavy rain can destroy shingles or rip them from the roof. Loose or missing flashing is also a sign of strom damage hidden from view.
Different Storms Cause Different Damage
Wind won’t cause the same kind of damage that rain or hail will, so the signs will be unique to the situation. Below you’ll find common types of storms and the damage they cause.
Intense wind can blow shingles off the roof. Missing or damaged shingles cause leaks and interior damage, which will get worse over time. High winds can also throw branches and debris that can puncture your roof.
A hail storm is pretty hard to miss, and often causes widespread damage. Hail can cause indentions and crack in shingles that will eventually let water in. To get the hail damage repaired, you’ll typically need to file an insurance claim.
The biggest fear for most homeowners during a storm is falling tree branches and other debris. You may even be worried about a tree falling if you have an older tree near your home. Some debris is so small that it would cause much damage, but if any large items appear to have fallen on the roof, it’s best to contact a professional roofing company.
Protect Your Home From Bad Weather With Pinnacle Roofing & Restoration
The prospect of storm damage in the wake of a storm and be nerve-wracking, but the signs don’t have to spell catastrophe when you know what you’re looking for. Our extensive experience with the effect of Mid-south weather on your roof means that you’ll be comfortable and safe at home sooner rather than later. If you notice any signs of storm damage, or just want the opinion of a professional, contact Pinnacle Roofing and Restoration at 901-250-2607.